Sunday 30 August 2015

Chinese Whispers





“Individual science-fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today – but the core of science fiction, has become crucial to our to our salvation if we are to be saved at all (Asimov, n.d).” 
                                                                                    (Leibowitz, 2015).
Our Facebook profiles tell a long story about us. Including where we have been, what we have done and achieved, as well as showing some of the important dates that many affect our lives every time they pass.
However, this story is not for us to read, it is for our many friends to understand and interpret in their own way. It may even be seen by friends of friends if our friends choose to share it with theirs.

“Stories are ways of seeing (Kuttainen, 2015).” What we post onto our profiles can have a wide range of effects on its viewers. If I was to post a picture of my last trip to Paluma looking over a cliff or from a height, I see this as beautiful. However, if someone with a fear of heights or water saw these images it could have a very different effect on them.
Same goes with posts if I were to describe one of my days in a post with no picture, I then become the eyes to the people who read it and have not seen the same things I have. This then leaves the story I am telling open to the interpretation of its viewer’s and can be taken in many different ways with many different feeling towards the particular topic.
Facebook is a way of sharing stories with many people. However each story can have a very different effect.

Asimov, I. (n.d). Brainy Quote.
            Retrieved from:  http://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=stories
Leibowitz, G. (2015, 19 August). Tips for Telling Stories That Readers Will Share.
Kuttainen, V. (2015). Stories and places, week 5 lecture

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you've said about a story on Facebook not being one to be "read" to people, in a certain way. I like the idea of any amount of posting on the site can form its own story in any number of different ways, whether it's through text, pictures, videos or all three. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of someone's fears being able to influence their enjoyment of a scenic photo. The feature to be able to share a post to friends and friends of friends only means that there is an exponential number of ways your story can be interpreted, perhaps a reason Facebook is so unique.The other side of that, is that you, yourself, are creating a whole personality that may not be the real you, but it's the story you'd like to tell the world. As Octavia E. Butler once said "Every story I create, creates me. I write to create myself".

    Reference:
    Butler, O. (Date Unknown). Retrieved from: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I like how you discuss how a persons profile can be interpreted differently by all the people who view it. It's as McNeill said in this weeks reading, that "routine errands such as banking and shopping"(McNeill,L.2012) are posted online on social media accounts as well as people sharing travel photos and updating information with family or friends

    REFERENCE:
    McNeill,L. (2012) There is no “I” in network: Social networking sites and posthuman auto/biography.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.