Wednesday 9 September 2015

Just a tap on the keyboard away











Writerscafe.org was created solely for making friends, filled with strangers who share a mutual love for writing.
WritersCafe.org brings together hundreds of people from many different countries and cultures.
For example I follow a very talented Indian poet who goes by the user name of Mayank.
I am also friends with a talented writer called Woody and many more of my writerscafe friends are from America, Canada, Mexico, and Norway, just to mention a few.
Although we’re all not friends on a personal level or a physical level we have come together with the love of not only fiction writing but song writing and non fiction writing.

Diaspora is defined by Gabriel Shaffer (1993) as “A minority group of migrant origin which maintains sentimental or material links with its land of origin” (Sheffer. G. 1986, 333-336.)
 I believe that members of Writerscafe.org are all migrants from the real world to an imaginative world. 

I’m not sure if I have correctly addressed Diaspora in this very quick thought of mine, but I hope you possibly non existent readers know what I mean.
If anything I believe that this quote better explains what I’m trying to throw out onto this page;
“Diasporic identities and histories are made and maintained through narrative, myth and songs that map journeys from one place to another” (BA1002 Lecture Slides Week 7, Slide 15)
We all come from the real world into this place, this social network where we can share the works that come from our hearts and imaginations.

I also believe that this quote explains more of what I am trying to say;
“Any Study of migration must take into account historical and cultural specificities as we have seen diasporas are all different and as a result any movement of people must be placed within its specific context” (BA1002 Lecture slides Week 7, Slide 16, Edwards, 2008, p.156)


Reference List:
BA1002 Lecture slides week 7, slide 15, (2015)
BA1002 Lecture slides week 7, slide 16, (Edwards, 2008, p.156)
“Comparative European Research in Migration, Diversity and Identities”, Sheffer. G. 1986, page 37 (2005)
Image Credit: 
rougeagainstthemachine.com

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your application of the concept of a diaspora to virtual networks such as writerscafe.org, and I found your idea that "members of writerscafe.org are all migrants from the real world to an imaginative world" particularly thought provoking. I had only previously thought about how virtual users are able to migrate within a digital landscape, but I had not considered migration from a tangible community to an intangible one. I feel like, not only with writerscafe.org but with social networks in general, the virtual community "provides a forum to exchange ideas, debate, and mobilise opinion (Rheingold, 1993), as well as support, friendship and acceptance between strangers (Wellman, 1999), all of which aids in the cultivation of digital diasporas" (Swaby, 2013).

    Reference List:

    Swaby, N. (2013). DIGITAL DIASPORA. Retrieved from http://www.itn-cohab.eu/wiki/digital-diaspora

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.